Inside Pictures alumni and participants have been busy in recent months, with many scooping high-profile festival prizes and taking bold career steps. In this post we highlight some of the achievements, awards, career moves and new releases from the global Inside Pictures network.
We are delighted to share stories from across the industry, from the likes of Kenton Allen, Mark Bryne, Helena Danielsson, Anna Higgs, Steve Jamison, Siniša Juričić, Jill Macnab, Yogita Puri, Adrian Sturges, Ivy Vanhaecke, Faye Ward and Dragoslav Zachariev.
FILM RELEASES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Anna Higgs (Class of 2010) has executive produced Ben Wheatley’s latest film HIGH RISE, which premiered at TIFF and will see a UK release in March 2016 from Studio Canal following its UK premier at London Film Festival. A “visionary dystopian fable” (Hollywood Reporter) the film stars Tom Hiddleston, Luke Evans, Sienna Miller, Jeremy Irons and Elizabeth Moss and is produced by Jeremy Thomas for RPC.
- Feminist drama SUFFRAGETTE, produced by Faye Ward (Class of 2010) and Alison Owen, directed by Sarah Gavron and written by Abi Morgan, opened the London Film Festival last week. Read more
- New Zealand hip-hop film BORN TO DANCE, produced by Jill Macnab (Class of 2015), premiered to an enthusiastic TIFF audience, including Janet Jackson, and has just been released in cinemas in New Zealand. Read more
- Czech-Dutch co-production FULL CONTACT, produced by Siniša Juričić (Class of 2015), premiered at TIFF and captured the imagination of critics, being described as “fascinating” and “imaginative” by The Hollywood Reporter. Read review
- Congratulations to Archer’s Mark producer Steve Jamison (Class of 2015), whose short film NOTES ON BLINDNESS scooped this year’s Emmy Award for New Approaches: Arts, Lifestyle and Culture. Read more
- Lenny Abrahamson’s ROOM, a film project pitched by Mark Byrne (Class of 2013) for Inside Pictures and produced by Element Pictures, has won the People’s Choice Award, the top prize at TIFF. The film is scheduled for a limited release in the US on 16 October, before being released nationwide on 6 November. Studio Canal will release the film in the UK and Ireland in January 2016. Read more
- Congratulations to producer Ivy Vanhaecke (Class of 2015) whose Belgian gangster film BLACK scooped the Discovery Award at TIFF. Read a review of the film here.
- Congratulations to producer Helena Danielsson (Class of 2014) whose film THE CHILDHOOD OF A LEADER (dir. Brady Corbet) scooped two Lions at Venice Film Festival; Venice Horizons and Lion of the Future. Jonathan Demme, who presented the Horizons award, said, “When I try to trace my way back to other first films that provide the kind of thrilling and unbridled cinematics that define The Childhood of a Leader, I keep slamming into an American debut film from the 1940s, directed by a then 25-year-old fledgling filmmaker named Orson Welles. There, I said it.” Read more
- Dragoslav Zachariev (Class of 2014) has left EuroVOD to take up a new role as Audiovisual Attaché at the French Embassy in Rome.
- Yogita Puri (Class of 2011) joined The Ink Factory as Head of Commercial and Business Affairs in June 2015.
- Adrian Sturges (Class of 2002) is producing HOUDINI AND DOYLE, a major new supernatural TV drama from the writers of HOUSE M.D., which is being executive produced by Kenton Allen (Class 2002). Sturges and Allen met on the very first Inside Pictures programme thirteen years ago. Read more