We are hugely proud of the Inside Pictures alumni, who include industry leaders from across the film value chain. To celebrate the achievements of our alumni, we are introducing a quarterly round up of news stories highlighting some notable achievements, awards, career moves and new releases from the network.
The Inside Pictures programme offers long-term benefits to participants and alumni, strengthening business relationships and peer-to-peer networks for many years to come. Our news will include highlights of collaborations between our alumni from across the years and sectors.
We are delighted to kick this off with a selection of stories from the past six months, from sectors including production, acquisitions, legal and business affairs, exhibition and finance.
FILM RELEASES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- THE DIARY OF A TEENAGE GIRL, produced by Bert Hamelinck (Class of 2011) for Caviar Content began a limited release in the US and the UK on 7 August, with a wide release in the US from 28 August. Read more
- The first images have been published for Medieval drama PILGRIMAGE, produced by Conor Barry (Class of 2014) for Savage Production Ltd and backed by the Irish Film Board. Read more
- Rebecca O’Flanagan (Class of 2012) is to executive produce BACHELOR WEEKEND, after Warner Bros acquired remake rights to THE STAG, which she originally produced for Treasure Entertainment. Read more
- Jacob Jarek of Profile Pictures (Class of 2013) is executive producing IN THE BLOOD, the debut directing feature from Rasmus Heisterberg, the Danish screenwriter behind GIRL WITH A DRAGON TATTOO and A ROYAL AFFAIR. Read more
- Reinier Selenof Rinkel Film (Class of 2014) is producing A REAL VERMEER, directed by Rudolf van den Berg, for which casting has commenced and principal photography starts on October 16. He is also currently casting the leads for RAFAËL, a feature film directed by Oscar-nominated director Ben Sombogaart.
Bankside Films’ Phil Hunt (Class of 2011) has had three films selected for Toronto: FREEHELD starring Julianne Moore and Ellen Page, which he produced, ahead of a US release in October, as well as THE MAN WHO KNEW INFINITY and BLACK MASS, both of which he executive produced. BLACK MASS was also selected for Venice.
- Christopher Granier-Deferre (Class of 2010) has two films in Toronto through his production company Poisson Rouge Pictures: LOLO and FAMILIES, as well as a film at Venice: A BIGGER SPLASH. He executive produced the UK shoots for all three films.
- Producer Helena Danielsson (Class of 2014) has made the official selection at Venice with her film THE CHILDHOOD OF A LEADER, directed by Brady Corbet and starring Robert Pattinson. This will be screened as part of the Horizons sidebar, a competitive section that runs parallel to the festival.
- Lenny Abrahamson’s ROOM, a film project pitched by Mark Byrne (Class of 2013) for Inside Pictures and produced by Element Pictures, has been selected for the Toronto special presentations slot. The film is scheduled for a limited release in the US on 16 October, before being released nationwide on 6 November. Studio Canal will release the film in the UK and Ireland on a date to be confirmed. Read more
- Congratulations to producer Sofie Wanting Hassing (Class of 2011), who won the the foreign-language film Oscar for IDA back in February. Read more
- Congratulations to Jacob Jarek (Class of 2013) who won the top prize for the Un Certain Regard strand at Cannes with co-produced Icelandic-Danish film RAMS. Subsequently the film has sold across almost all Eastern European territories. Read more
- July 2015: Jeremy Baxter (Class of 2013) has joined London and LA-based finance outfit Riverstone Pictures as head of acquisitions and development. Read more
- May 2015: Aranka Matits (Class of 2013) set up Featurette, a consultancy company advising theatrical distributors on acquisitions, co-productions and strategic planning. She is currently working with Pim Hermeling at September Film in the Netherlands and was involved with the release of award-winning thriller VICTORIA into cinemas in France and Benelux. Read more
- March 2015: Gusharn Khaira (Class of 2014) left his former role as business affairs executive Pathé Productions to join Altitude as head of legal and business affairs. Read more
- January 2015: Claire Beswick (Class of 2010) joined Curzon Cinemas as Head of Programming.
- Mark Lane (Class of 2014) of the Tea Shop & Film Company is currently producing shark thriller 47 METERS DOWN, financed by The Fyzz Facility’s Wayne Marc Godfrey (Class of 2013). Read more
- Jacob Jarek (Class of 2013) is in development with feature WE WATCHED THE SUN DISAPPEAR, a polar thriller written by Micheal Kinirons (writer of Sundance hit STRANGERLAND) who is represented by United Agents agent Camille McCurry (Class of 2013).
- WAR BOOK, executive produced by Steve Jamison from Archer’s Mark (Class of 2015) and Ivana MacKinnon from Stray Bear Films (Class of 2011) will be broadcast in August as part of the BBC Four Goes Nuclear season.
- Launched in June 2015, SENSE8, an original sci-fi series ordered by Netflix and created by Andy and Lana Wachowski, was fully financed by Motion Picture Capital thanks to Leon Clarance (Class of 2011) and Laure Vaysse (Class of 2012) and produced by Georgeville Television, of which Leon is also a director.