PARTICIPANTS ANNOUNCED FOR 2022 INSIDE PICTURES PROGRAMME WITH DNA FILMS ANDREW MACDONALD APPPOINTED INDUSTRY AMBASSADOR
“Developing the Next Generation of Leaders in the Global Film and Television Industry”
London, 12 May 2022: The National Film and Television School (NFTS) today announces the participants selected for Inside Pictures 2022, its prestigious business training and leadership skills development programme. Additionally, Inside Pictures is thrilled to announce it has appointed Andrew Macdonald, Chairman of DNA Films, to act as this year’s Industry Ambassador, representing the programme to the wider international industry and sharing his expertise and insight during key milestones.
Now in its 19th year, 2022 marks 11 years of Inside Pictures being delivered by the NFTS, one of the world’s leading film, television and games School’s and this year, the programme is supported by the BFI, awarding funds from the National Lottery.
For the first time, Inside Pictures will cater to both the film and television sectors, taking participants to the heart of the industry as it continues to undergo unprecedented changes. The selected executives will be given the tools needed to navigate the many challenges and opportunities ahead within the international film and television businesses.
The successful producers and executives taking part this year were selected from numerous high-calibre applications across the film and television sectors including; Acquisitions, Development, Production, Sales, Distribution, Finance, Marketing, Publicity, Exhibition, Legal and Business Affairs and Commissioning. This year’s cohort is comprised of 20 participants, representing seven global territories.
Introducing Inside Pictures 2022 Participants:
- Ana Cristina Santos | Head of Legal and Business Affairs | Bankside Films
- Aneet Nijjar | Director of Distribution | Other Parties Film Company
- Anne Gartside | VP Publicity UK | STXfilms
- Antje Bankmann | Director Project Finance | Constantin Film
- Charles Dawson | Founder & Managing Director | Thousand Films
- Daniel-Konrad Cooper | Producer | Rather Good Films
- Deblina Chakrabarty | Vice President EMEA TV Distribution | Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM)
- Edgar Daarnhouwer | Head of Sales & Acquisition | Paradiso Filmed Entertainment
- Einar Loftesnes | Producer | Handmade Films In Norwegian Woods
- Elettra Canovi | Development Executive | Indiana Production Spa
- Emily Guarino | Head of Business Affairs UK | European Originals at Amazon Studios
- Helena Vlogaert | Producer | Caviar
- Hussain Casey-Ahmed | Production Executive | Disney+ / Star
- Jessie Fisk, Producer | Feline Films Ltd
- Lawrence Mason | Creative Co-ordinator | Netflix
- Polina Schlicht | Managing Director & Producer | Monumental Pictures
- Rachael O’Kane | Founder & Producer | Atomic 80
- Roberto Amoroso | Head of Development & President | Alfred Film
- Serena Gill | Head of Film | Everyman Cinemas
- Shantelle Rochester | CEO & Producer | Ida Rose
The Inside Pictures programme is comprised of three intensive one-week modules in addition to a tailored project beginning in June 2022 through to January 2023. This year sees the programme return to being delivered in person both in London and Los Angeles.
Inside Pictures will give participants the 360-degree understanding of the global business of film and television that it has become synonymous with, at a time when networks and strategy are of more value than ever. Participants will benefit from the support of their cohort, and input from top-level industry leaders from both sectors about how to grow and lead businesses in film and television.
Inside Pictures is delighted to appoint Andrew Macdonald as the programme’s incoming 2022 Industry Ambassador.
Andrew produced his first feature film, Shallow Grave, in 1993. Written by John Hodge and directed by Danny Boyle, the film was a major box office success and won the BAFTA for Best British Film. The same creative team went on to produce a number of films together including Trainspotting, A Life Less Ordinary, The Beach and T2 Trainspotting. Since 1997 Macdonald has headed DNA Films which, with producing partner Allon Reich, has produced and financed films including The Last King of Scotland, Notes on a Scandal, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Sunshine on Leith, Never Let Me Go, Far From the Madding Crowd, Ex Machina and Annihilation. More recently, Andrew teamed up with John Battsek to produce Sir Alex Ferguson: Never Give In alongside Jason Ferguson who has also directed the documentary about his father. Other recent productions include Devs for FX, written and directed by Alex Garland, an adaptation of Rumer Godden’s Black Narcissus by Amanda Coe and directed by Charlotte Bruus Christensen for the BBC and FX Productions, and Men, written and directed by Alex Garland for A24.
Andrew Macdonald, Inside Pictures Industry Ambassador commented: “It’s an honour to be asked to join Inside Pictures as this year’s Industry Ambassador and I’m very much looking forward to meeting the class of 2022. The film and television industries are more vital than ever to audiences and in an increasingly competitive, post-Covid world, the Inside Pictures programme will ensure participants develop the high level skills needed to lead the industry into its next exciting chapter.”
Jon Wardle, NFTS Director added: “I have no doubt this year’s Inside Pictures cohort will once again emerge armed with the confidence, leadership skills, networks and business knowledge necessary to lead and innovate as the film and television landscape continues to evolve. We are excited to welcome Andrew Macdonald as Industry Ambassador and thank the BFI for their support with this year’s cycle, empowering the next generation of talent to shape the future of the screen sectors worldwide.”
Clare Crean, Inside Pictures Programme Director of Content commented: “It’s a great privilege to welcome this year’s participants to the programme, and Andrew Macdonald as our esteemed Ambassador. I’m grateful to the BFI for recognising and supporting the contribution Inside Pictures makes to the growth and development of producing and executive talent within our industry. The Inside Pictures team are focused on developing forward-thinking leaders who can navigate this ever changing industry and its unique challenges and opportunities with a truly international perspective – we are so excited to be working with each and every one of them.”
Katie Ellen, Senior Manager of International Strategy and Distribution, at the BFI said: “With such a strong track record as an effective professional development programme for industry execs and entrepreneurial producers, we are proud to support Inside Pictures and excited to welcome this year’s talented cohort. Recognising the programme’s laser sharp focus on developing participant’s global business skills and connections, as well as its vibrant and engaged international network of alumni, it speaks perfectly to the International Fund’s strategic priorities.”
Inside Pictures receives widespread industry support and participation from many of the highest-level industry professionals in America and Europe. See inside-pictures.com for a list of previous speakers who have generously lent their support to the programme.
The programme is also grateful for the support it receives from the Film Distributors Association, Ingenious Media and Lee & Thompson LLP.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
Contact for further information:
- Corinne Ranaraja: Inside Pictures Programme Director, Operations: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mirinda Dawkins: NFTS Head of PR and Communications email@example.com
About the National Film and Television School (NFTS)
The NFTS is one of the world’s leading film, games and television schools and celebrated its landmark 50th anniversary in 2021. The School has been listed as one of The Hollywood Reporter’s Top 15 International Film School’s for over a decade and in 2018 received the Outstanding Contribution to British Cinema BAFTA. NFTS alumni have gone on to win 13Oscars and 152 BAFTAs with graduates including; double Oscar winning cinematographer Roger Deakins (1917) creator of global Netflix hit Sex Education Laurie Nunn and BAFTA winning director, Lynne Ramsay (You Were Never Really Here). The NFTS is a registered charity (313429). For more information see nfts.co.uk
About the BFI
We are a cultural charity, a National Lottery distributor, and the UK’s lead organisation for film and the moving image.
Our mission is:
- To support creativity and actively seek out the next generation of UK storytellers
- To grow and care for the BFI National Archive, the world’s largest film and television archive
- To offer the widest range of UK and international moving image culture through our programmes and festivals – delivered online and in venue
- To use our knowledge to educate and deepen public appreciation and understanding
- To work with Government and industry to ensure the continued growth of the UK’s screen industries
Founded in 1933, the BFI is a registered charity governed by Royal Charter.
The BFI Board of Governors is chaired by Tim Richards.