As we approach the end of the year, we continue to celebrate the achievements, awards, career moves and new releases from the global Inside Pictures alumni network. Earlier this month, Sundance Film Festival started announcing its film line-up for 2016 and we were thrilled to see so many of our alumni in the credits. Many of our participants and graduates have also been advancing in their careers and forming exciting new partnerships.
We are delighted to share stories from across the industry, from the likes of Conor Barry, Thomas Benski, Morgan Bushe, Helena Danielsson, Katie Holly, Steve Jamison, Siniša Juričić, Raymond van der Kaaij, Bart van Langendonck, Peter de Maegd, Errol Nayci, Courtney Noble, Lucas Ochoa, Reinier Selen, Robert Walak and Joris Van Wijk,
- We would like to pay our deepest respects to Gayle Griffiths (Class of 2004-5, UK), who died aged 49 in October following a battle with cancer. Gayle was a much loved member of the Inside Pictures alumni network, and best known for producing ARCHIPELIGO, MY BROTHER THE DEVIL and EXHIBITION with her company Wild Horses Films. She will be greatly missed. Read more
FILM RELEASES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Joris Van Wijk (Class of 2015, Netherlands) has set up US/Netherlands/Canada co-production THE PARTS YOU LOSE, working with Oscar-winning producer Mark Johnson (Breaking Bad, Rain Man). The film will star Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad) and Carice van Houten (Game of Thrones), with shooting scheduled to start in February. Read more
- Helena Danielsson (Class of 2014, Sweden) is lead producing a major eight part TV thriller series, adapted from UK writer Alex Scarrow’s 2007 novel Last Light, in partnership with TrustNordisk/Zentropa.Read more
- IRON SKY: THE COMING RACE, a Finland-Germany-Belgium feature co-produced by Peter de Maegd (Class of 2013, Belgium), has just completed filming. The film was shot entirely in Belgium, and the total budget was 17 million Euros. Read more
MAMMAL, a co-production between Fastnet Films’ Conor Barry (Class of 2014, Ireland) and Rinkel Film’s Reinier Selen (Class of 2014, Netherlands) has been selected for the World Cinema Dramatic Competition at Sundance Film Festival 2016. The film is directed by Rebecca Daly and stars Academy Award nominated and Golden Globe winning actress Rachel Griffiths (Six Feet Under, Muriel’s Wedding). Read more
- NOTES ON BLINDNESS, a feature film and multi-platform interactive project produced by Steve Jamison’s (Class of 2015, UK) company Archer’s Mark, will premiere at Sundance as part of the New Frontier programme. Read more
- Pulse Films’ Thomas Benski (Class of 2011, UK) and Lucas Ochoa (Class of 2015, UK) have produced ALL THESE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, a documentary directed by Polish filmmaker Michal Marczak. The film has been selected for the World Cinema Documentary Competition at Sundance Film Festival 2016. Read more
- THE LAND OF THE ENLIGHTENED, a film produced by Savage Film’s Bart van Langendonck (Class of 2014, Belgium), and co-produced by Fastnet Films’ Morgan Bushe (Class of 2014, Ireland), has been selected for the World Cinema Documentary Competition at Sundance. The film is repped in the US by UTA’s Bec Smith, whom Bart met as a result of Inside Pictures last year, and will be distributed in Ireland by Morgan’s distribution outfit Wildcard. Films Boutique is the sales agent. Read more
- Siniša Juričić (Class of 2015, Croatia) has co-produced A GOOD WIFE directed by Mirjana Karanovic, which has been selected for the World Cinema Dramatic Competition at Sundance. Read more
LOVE & FRIENDSHIP (dir. Whit Stillman), a Jane Austen adaptation starring Kate Beckingsale, Chloë Sevigny and Stephen Fry, produced by Blinder Films’ Katie Holly (Class of 2011, Ireland) and co-produced by Revolver Amsterdam’s Raymond van der Kaaij (Class of 2013, Netherlands), will have its world premiere at Sundance. Read more
- Congratulations to producer Helena Danielsson (Class of 2014, Sweden) whose film THE CHILDHOOD OF A LEADER (dir. Brady Corbet) won the TAP Revelation Award for Best Director at LEFFEST in November 2015. This furthers success at the 72nd Venice Film festival, where the film won awards for Best Debut Film and Best Director. Read more
- Robert Walak (Class of 2007, UK) is joining Universal Pictures International Productions as Co-Managing Director alongside Los Angeles-based managing director Peter Kujawski, starting the role in December 2015. Read more
- Courtney Noble (Class of 2015, UK) joined Pinewood Pictures as Head of Acquisition & Development in October 2015. Read more
- Helena Danielsson (Class of 2014, Sweden) entered as a partner in new outfit Brain Academy, part of Nice Entertainment Group and MTG, in November 2015.
- Errol Nayci (Class of 2014, Netherlands) set up The Storytellers Film & TV as an independent producer in November 2015, to develop and produce television drama and feature films, and partner on co-productions.